Wednesday, January 16, 2008

PDX rox my sox off

Why? Here's why.

1) I see people waiting in their cars downtown, reading.

2) People singing to babies as they take them on walks.

3) Largely cheerful, educated homeless population.

4) Seriously, everyone reads. The grumpy looks on the MAX or bus are reserved for loud people who can't see that some of us are reading.

5) Portlanders appreciate my ability to cull through the crap to find the diamonds at Goodwill. Actually, that's a hobby here. It's called Hipsterism. Similarly, makeup isn't big. That's good for me-- I'm just lazy.

6) Voo Doo Doughnuts. Dalo's Kitchen. Helzer's. The food doesn't get much better. And I can walk there.

7) Coffee shops with free wifi on every corner.

8) People here understand my grammar and Jane Austen Jokes.

9) Two words: fire escapes.

10) A mish-mosh of architecture and views downtown. One minute I'm in the woods by the zoo, the next I'm looking out over London's Peter Pan rooftops, the next I'm gawking at the gorgeous fire escapes on the brick building with bay windows and aqua accents above the taco shop. Which is probably local, free trade and organic.

11) The public transportation. Unbeatable.

What I Don't Love About Portland:


1) Grumpiness from strangers for no good reason. Is it all the clouds? Is that why you flipped me off for simply appearing in the turn lane?

2) The rain. I miss the snow. White is way better than wet.

3) Lack of good, consistent ballroom dancing venues.

4) Lack of my former ballroom partners.

5) Snooty looks if I buy my groceries from Fred Meyer instead of Wild Oats. I'm just trying to save money. Last time I checked, that's not a crime.

6) Not enough mountain ranges.

7) The rain smells like mold, not like sagebrush, like it does in Nevada.

As you can see, I love more than I hate. I try to make that my motto. I'm settling in nicely. My first yoga class is tomorrow. In the meantime, I'm looking for jobs. You know how it goes. I applied for one job as a teaching assistant at a homeless school. I'll try to post some pics of the dogs, house, and my (gorgeous) room later in the week. Much love to all, and to all a good night.

No comments: