Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Letting Go Of Ego


It's not easy to forget your ego. Our consumer culture trains us from birth to seek more stuff, more attention, and more praise. One of my clients at Inkwater Press, Steffan Postaer, recently explored how ego impacts his work in advertising. Commenting on the life of a creative professional, he wrote,

Yet, creation is often messy, hard work. For every brilliant bolt, there is deluge, a great deal of noise.

Under these conditions, it’s hard letting go of insecurities. Our egos won’t let us. Yet, we must try. This job is too much fun to be encumbered by fear. Hopefully, the first step towards letting go comes with understanding, hence this discussion. But even so, it’s like undoing knots in a wet shoelace.
That last metaphor is perfect. Letting go of ego requires oodles of patience. It's certainly not an easy task. But practice at it long enough, and you just might find your concerns about performance falling away, leaving you free to enjoy the moment.

That's what happened to me yesterday when I kicked up into my first headstand. I'd fallen out of tripod headstand so many times that I no longer really cared if I could stay up-- it had become more of a game, or an experiment. I found that once I surrendered to the present moment and just focused on what I knew about getting into headstand (i.e., elbows shoulder distance apart, very little weight on the neck, super-active core), I went straight there, and balanced until I felt finished.

How marvelous to be free of ego, even if only for a moment.

Top photo by carstingaxion.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Glad to see you blogging again Colleen!

Congrats on the headstand and finding a new path through writing and yoga.